5% discount when shared
Share on Google+

State Vehicle Record Requests


State Name

How to Request a State Vehicle Record




Persons eligible under the Driver Privacy Protection Act and Alaska statutes may obtain an Alaska Motor Vehicle Record.


Complete a Request for Vehicle Record Form 851, sign and date the form, submit payment and any required documents to the Alaska DMV. There is a $10 fee for each record. Government agencies are not charged for this service.


By Mail Division of Motor Vehicles

  Attn: Research

1300 W Benson Blvd, Ste. 200

Anchorage, AK 99506-3600

By Fax (907) 269-5202

By Email [email protected]


Forms URL: http://doa.alaska.gov/dmv/forms/pdfs/851.pdf



If you are the owner of record on the Arizona title, you may purchase a Title and Registration Motor Vehicle Record (MVR): 

If you are a prospective buyer of a vehicle currently titled in Arizona, you may ask the vehicle owner to provide you with an Arizona MVR prior to purchase of the vehicle.  

  • Vehicles that have not been titled or registered in Arizona during the last 5 years may not be eligible for an MVR. 

  • A Title and Registration MVR contains the following information:  Owner, vehicle, lien and brand.



Arkansas is under the Federal Driver’s privacy act and will not give out information belonging to someone else.  If you need information from when you owned the vehicle you may send in a written request along with a copy of your driver’s license to request the information.  Your request must contain the following:


1.       Vehicle specifics such as description of vehicle, VIN number, license plate number or name with address for an alpha search.

2.       Reason for requesting the information.

3.       Fees are $1.00 for owner/lien holder information and $1.00 for each copy of documents requested such as bill of sale, contracts, etc. 


Mail your request to:


            Arkansas Office of Motor Vehicles

            Records Unit, Room 1100

            P. O. Box 1272

            Little Rock, AR  72203


If you need additional information you may contact our Information/Records Unit by phone at 501-682-4692 or by fax at 501-682-4756 or by email at [email protected]






State of Connecticut

Dept of Motor Vehicles

Records Information

60 State St

Wethersfield, CT 06161

(860) 263-5700










Persons eligible under the Driver Privacy Protection Act and Illinois statutes may obtain an Illinois Motor Vehicle Record.


Inquiries about registration and title records should be directed to:


Secretary of State

Motor Vehicle Records Division, Record Inquiry Section

501 S. Second St., Rm. 408

Springfield, IL 62756


Telephone: 217-782-6992 or 217-785-3000

Fax: 217/524-0122


Information Request Form:





Iowa Department of Transportation

Office of Vehicle and Motor Carrier Services

P.O. Box 9278

Des Moines, IA 50306-9278

[email protected]

Telephone : (515)237-3110

Fax number (515)237-3056



Go to www.ksrevenue.org or click on the Records Request Form 302 directly at http://ksrevenue.org/pdf/trdl302.pdf


Use form TC96-16G-Request for Motor Vehicle or Boat Record that Includes Personal Information–Government Agency Use Only found at http://transportation.ky.gov/Organizational-Resources/Forms/TC%2096-16g.pdf. Submit according to mail-in directions on form. Current record retention is five years.





45 Commerce Drive, Suite 10
Augusta, Maine 04330

Phone: (207) 621-2600 or (207) 512-5605
Toll-Free: (877) 212-6500

Fax: (207) 621-9950

General Email: [email protected]

For subscriber information: 207-621-2600 x038



Maryland Motor Vehicle Administration [Telephone- in-State] 410-768-7000

Division of Vehicle Records [Telephone – out of State] 410-768-7000

6601 Ritchie Highway, N.E. [Hearing Impaired] TTY 1-800-492-4575

Glen Burnie, MD 21062 [General Information Line] 410-768-7000

[Internet Address] www.marylandmva.com


To request a certified copy of a vehicle record requires completion of an application Request for Motor Vehicle Administration Records (DR-057). The form may be obtained at:



Once completed, the form may brought in person to any full service MVA office or mailed to the Maryland Motor Vehicle Administration, 6601 Ritchie Highway N.E., Attn: Room 206, Glen Burnie, MD 21062. The fee for certified copy of a vehicle record is $12.00 and the fee for a non-certified copy is $9.00. Please make checks or money orders payable to the Motor Vehicle Administration (MVA).


http://www.mass.gov/rmv/express/index.htm Please select “Title/Lien inquiry” and follow instructions.


Driver and vehicle records are released in compliance with Driver Privacy Protection Laws.  For more information, visit the Michigan Department of State website at:  www.Michigan.gov/sos


Complete Records Complete driver and vehicle records may be requested through the Record Lookup Unit at 517-322-1624.  Records are $8 each ($9 for a certified record) and provided at no charge to government agencies.


Form BDVR-153 is used for individuals requesting their own record.  Form BDVR-154 is used for an individual or commercial organization requesting another person’s record.  Form BDVR-155 is for use by government agencies.  These forms are available on the website:  Michigan.gov/sos.


Bulk Data Bulk data is available through the List Sales Program.  Address inquiries to 517-322-3452 or [email protected].  Bulk records are record extracts (primarily header information) and do not contain driving, title or registration history.


https://dps.mn.gov/divisions/dvs/Pages/records-request-procedure.aspx, or call DVS Records Office, (651) 215-1335.


Download the Motor Vehicle Records Disclosure Form at https://www.dor.ms.gov/title/title_forms.html. Instructions and fees are explained in the packet.


If you are the owner of record on the Missouri title, you may purchase a title and/or registration Motor Vehicle record by completing request form Request From Record Holder form, Form 4681. Form and fee may be submitted by:

  • Visiting a Missouri Motor Vehicle licensing office. Office listing and business information may be found at http://dor.mo.gov/mvdl/offloc/ ;

  • Mail: Missouri Department of Revenue, Motor Vehicle and Driver License Bureau-Record Sales, PO Box 2167, Jefferson City, MO 65105-2167;

  • Fax: (573) 526-7367; or

  • E-Mail: [email protected]

Request form may be located at http://dor.mo.gov/forms/4681.pdf. Refer to form for fee assessment.


Vehicle owner will receive documentation containing requested owner, vehicle, lien, and/or registration information; however, this documentation may not be used in place of the Missouri title for transfer of ownership. For information on obtaining a duplicate Missouri title, visit http://dor.mo.gov/motorv/titlerep.php or call (573) 526-3669 between the hours of 8:00 a.m. through 5:00 p.m. CT.


If you are the not owner of record on the Missouri title, Missouri record information may be requested by submitting the request form and fee* for each record. If personal information is requested, the requestor will submit Request for Motor Vehicle/Driver License Records/Personal Information form, Form 5091. When no personal information is requested, the completion of form Request for Information, Form 4803 is required. Refer to form for fee assessment.


Forms may be found at http://dor.mo.gov/mvdl/motorv/forms/5091.pdf or http://dor.mo.gov/mvdl/motorv/forms/4803.pdf


Public Records Request Review

Prior to release, public records requests are reviewed for permissible uses allowable by federal and state laws. DOL will either provide you with:

  • The record information you seek, or

Notification in writing with an explanation that prevents release of the record you seek.








New Hampshire


New Jersey

Businesses may access applications & obtain information through the NJMVC records website: http://www.state.nj.us/mvcbiz/Records/index.htm


Individuals may submit a written request for a variety of records http://www.state.nj.us/mvc/

New York


New Mexico

New Mexico Motor Vehicle Division
Joseph Montoya Building
P.O. Box 1028
1100 South St. Francis Drive
Santa Fe 87504-1028

Telephone Toll Free: 888-683-4636 or 888-MVD-INFO


Download/fill out Confidential Records Release form

Use this form if:
- You would like to obtain a vehicle record
Special Instructions:  In addition to taking this form to an MVD office. This form is eligible to be faxed to (505) 827-2783 and include your name and phone number.

North Carolina


North Dakota

North Dakota vehicle record information may be requested by submitting the Request for Vehicle Information - SFN 51269. Instructions and fees are explained on the form.

Forms can be found on the NDDOT home page web site at

Complete and fax or mail to the fax number or mailing address provided on this form. Or email the signed completed form to [email protected] .






If you are the owner of the vehicle, you may purchase a vehicle history by downloading a Request for Vehicle Information (DL-135) from www.dmv.state.pa.us. Click on “Forms and Publications”, “All Motor Vehicle Forms, Publications and FAQ’s, and DL-135. Forms must be mailed to PennDOT for processing.

South Carolina


If you are a prospective buyer of a vehicle currently titled in South Carolina, you may request a South Carolina title history by submitting a completed Request for Vehicle Information form (Form 5027-A) to SCDMV, Post Office Box 1498, Blythewood, SC 29216-0024. The title history for the vehicle will include odometer information. However, the name and address of the registered owner(s) is not available. The cost for the Title History is $6.00. For expedited processing, include an additional $20.00 fee for each record. Make checks payable to SCDMV.

South Dakota

Please submit to the following: [email protected]




The consumer must:

1. Complete and sign the form VTR-275 located here http://txdmv.gov/forms.

2. Certify by initialing their intended use of the information on the back of the form

3. Submit the form by mail to the address on the form along with a copy of the consumer’s photo identification and the appropriate fee ($5.75, title history or$6.75 for a certified title history). If the requested information will be used in legal purposes, a “certified title history” is recommended.


To contact the department, please visit: http://txdmv.gov/contact-us.


If you are the owner of record on the Utah State title, you may purchase a Title and Registration Motor Vehicle Record by completing Utah form TC-890. Once completed please mail the form and payment to the address listed on the form

If you are not the owner, please review the other authorized reasons listed on our form. If you can meet one of these conditions, you may be entitled to the motor vehicle information.

You can obtain this form on-line at www.dmv.utah.gov  

  • Vehicles that have not been titled or registered in Utah during the last 10 years may not be eligible for a record search.

  • The owner name, vehicle information, lien holder and any brands will be provided.


Use the DPPA form:  Record Request - DPPA (Driving Record, Certified Copies, etc)


For a Prospective Purchaser Inquiry (PPI) on a vehicle titled in Virginia go to www.dmvnow.com. On DMV’s home page, go to the bottom of the page under General Information and click on Obtaining DMV Records.  Once on the screen titled Obtaining DMV Records, look down the list of available transactions for Vehicle History Reports and click on the Prospective Purchaser Inquiry (PPI).


Washington State vehicle record information may be requested by submitting a Vehicle/Vessel Public Disclosure Request form to the Department of Licensing. 

  • Access the DOL home page web site at http://www.dol.wa.gov

    • Click on the word “Forms”, located in the upper grey part of the home page, found toward the right hand side.

    • Click on the heading called “Public Disclosure”, which is located in the middle column titled “Forms by Subject”.

    • Scroll down this list to the second heading titled: “Vehicle/Vessel Public Disclosure Requests”

    • Click on the first bullet in the list called: “Vehicle/Vessel Disclosure Request” (form #TD-420-531)

    • Complete and fax or mail to the fax number or mailing address provided on the second page of this form. Or call the Vehicle/Vessel Public Disclosure unit at (360) 902-3780 and we will mail or fax the form to you.

  • Your request will be acknowledged within five business days of receipt.

Public Records Request Review

Prior to release, Vehicle/Vessel public records requests are reviewed for permissible uses allowable by federal and state laws. DOL will either provide you with:

  • The records you seek, or

Notify you in writing with an explanation of the applicable statutory exemptions that prevent release of the records, along with an explanation of how those exemptions apply, in whole or in part, to the records you seek.


West Virginia

Contact our Records Management Unit at (304)558-0282 or go to http://www.transportation.wv.gov/dmv/Forms/Pages/default.aspx

and download and complete form DMV100 “Request for Vehicle Information” and either mail or take to our Vehicle Services section at the main DMV office in Kanawha City, WV with the applicable fees.



Wisconsin vehicle record information can be requested by submitting the Vehicle/Driver Record Information Request form, MV2896 and a $5.00 fee for each record. If personal information is being requested, the form needs to have one of the boxes checked authorizing release of personal information.  


Additional information related to privacy of WI motor vehicle records can be found at: http://wisconsindot.gov/Pages/dmv/license-drvs/rcd-crsh-rpt/privacy.aspx


If you are the owner of record on the Title, you must contact the County Clerk in the county that the title was issued to order a duplicate title. If you are the registered owner of record on the Registration, you must contact the County Treasurer in the county that the license plate and registration was issued to order a duplicate registration or replace a lost or stolen license plate.


The County Clerk’s and County Treasurer’s telephone numbers are listed on our website at http://www.dot.state.wy.us/home/titles_plates_registration.html


For a title search, we follow the Federal Privacy Disclosure Act. If you qualify, you may complete our Privacy Disclosure Agreement and pay $5.00 for each title search. The Agreement is found on our website at http://www.dot.state.wy.us/home/titles_plates_registration/title_search.html